Monday, September 25, 2006

Well, frog that!


This little beauty started life as Clapotis, but as many of you know, Clapotis really takes more than three skeins of Lion and Lamb--it's more like five. What I ended up with with three skeins was a very wide and short scarf. Not that fabulous wrap that drapes so beautifully on the Knitty model. At $20-$30+ per skein there was no way I was going to buy more than three skeins, so I frogged that.
I reused the yarn and made what you see here, Midwest Moonlight from Scarf Style. (The i-cord fringe was my own addition.) The pattern is insanely easy and a nice break from this year's magnum opus, Fulmar.

Now there's more bad news, the Lion and Lamb runs like an S.O.B. I was never able to get the rinse water to run clear. After soaking and rinsing the scarf for an entire day, and I mean from early in the morning to late at night, the best I was able to manage was a medium pink rinse water. The colors that absolutely glowed as I knit the scarf up turns out to have been just loose dye pigment. The colors are still lovely, but not $20-$30+ worth of lovely. Furthermore, the yarn is fairly delicate in composition. It's a single ply and does not hold up well to a lot of handling. The glorious texture and sheen wasn't nearly as glorious after all of the rinses.

How disappointing! This was one expensive little lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home